- 1 Cup Mix Lentils
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1 Tomato (large)
- 1 Onion (large)
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Raw Mango Pulp
- 2 Teaspoons Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Butter & Ghee
- Salt, Pepper & Sugar to Taste
- Fresh Coriander (for garnishing)
- For tempering – 2 Teaspoons Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Chili
- 1 Stem Curry Leaves
- Mustard Seeds
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- Boil the lentils and rice in a cooker with a little extra water.
- Make an onion tomato masala with all the above-mentioned ingredients. Cook through well by adding water (braising) occasionally till the oil leaves the sides and looks almost coming to a slight burn.
- To the masala, add in the boiled dal and rice and mix thoroughly (if it tends to get clumpy, add milk).
- Taste and season accordingly, make sure you have a nice balance of sweet, spicy and salty.
- Prepare a nice tempering by adding all the tempering ingredients in hot oil and pour over gently.
- Give it one last mix, garnish with a good dollop of ghee or butter and coriander sprigs. Serve with some papads.