- For the Bread Pudding
- 6 Pav or Bread (or your choice)
- 11.5 Cups Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 2 Tablespoon Nuts and Raisins (optional)
- 2 Eggs
- For the Rum Sauce
- 2.5 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 11.5 Cups Milk (depending on the preferred consistency)
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar or Jaggery
- 11.5 Tablespoons Rum or Brandy
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 45 minutes
- For the bread pudding.
- Preheat oven at 175°C for 15 minutes. Prepare the baking dish by lightly brushing it with butter and lining the base with some parchment paper (optional).
- Tear the bread into small bite-sized pieces and make sure it covers the baking dish entirely (there shouldn’t be an empty spot).
- In a pot, over a medium-low flame add milk, butter, sugar and let it simmer. Whisk occasionally. Take it off the heat just when it starts boiling. Set it aside and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla essence. Slowly pour in the milk mixture and whisk vigorously to form a custard.
- Pour the custard over the bread and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 175°C. When ready, a skewer inserted will come out clean with the top golden.
- For the rum sauce.
- On medium-low heat, melt butter. Once melted, add the flour and keep whisking.
- Pour in the milk gently, a little at a time and whisk vigorously. Add the jaggery or sugar along with the milk.
- Take it off the heat and add the rum/brandy.
- Pour it over the warm bread pudding. In case it’s being made in advance, re-heat the sauce before serving.