- Serves 4
- For the Custard
- 3 Tbsp Custard Powder
- 500 ml Milk
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- For the Assembling
- Sponge Cake
- Fruits of Your Choice
- 1/4th Cup Coconut (Grated & Lightly Toasted)
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 75 minutes
- Follow the instructions on the custard pack to make the custard. Allow it to cool completely.
- Cut all the fruits of your choice and place in individual bowls. Set aside.
- If you have leftover sponge cake, you can use it. I didn’t have, so I have used Britannia cake, cut into cubes.
- In a trifle glass, put 2 spoons of the custard at the base. Then add the sponge cake.
- Arrange the fruits of your choice one over the other. Sprinkle some roasted coconut.
- Now spoon over some more custard as the final layer.
- Garnish with roasted coconut and pomegranates.
- Leave it in the refrigerator for an hour. Serve chilled.
Essentially, a trifle needs a sponge soaked in sherry (for adults) or fruit juice (for teetotalers or children), a thick layer of creamy custard, and a deep layer of lightly whipped fresh cream. The rest is all about personal preference. Make note that when making this dessert, the trifle can be made in one large glass dish or assembled in individual glasses.