- 1 Kg Fish (Catla)
- 200 Gms Potatoes (Cut in Quarters)
- Half Fresh Coconut (Grated)
- 2 Onions (Thinly Sliced)
- 2 Tomatoes (Chopped in Big Chunks)
- 1 Tbsp – Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Chilies (Slit in Half)
- 10 -12 Curry Leaves
- 2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Methi Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1.5 Cups Milk
- 1.5 Cups Water
- 2 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Salt to Taste
- Coriander Leaves for Garnishing
- Mustard Oil for Frying and Cooking
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 50 minutes
- Season the fish with 1.5 tbsp Turmeric powder, and salt. Leave for minimum 30 mins.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan, shallow fry the potatoes until they acquire a golden crust (usually takes 5 – 10 mins).
- Grind the grated coconut along with 1 tbsp milk to form a paste. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan (kadhai), fry the fish once the oil is hot.
- In the same oil (add more if needed), add mustard & methi seeds and cook till they stop spluttering.
- Then add green chillies and onion. Cook until onions turn golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Next, add the coconut paste and sauté for another 4 mins on low flame. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and cook for 3 mins on low flame.
- Add tomatoes, curry leaves, and mix well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes (or till the tomatoes soften completely and oil separates from the mixture), stirring the mix once in a while.
- Once the mixture is ready, add the potatoes and ½ cup water, bring to a boil, cover and cook on low flame for 15 mins (or until the potatoes soften).
- Add the remaining milk and water, season with salt & pepper, bring to a boil, cover and cook for another 10 mins.
- Before serving, add the fried fish, lemon juice and coriander leaves, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve it hot with some rice!