- 2 Cups Chana Dal (Cholar Dal)
- Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 50 Grams of Dry Roasted Coconut Strips/Pieces (small)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Jeera
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 Inch Ginger (grated)
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- Wash the Dal thoroughly.
- Pressure cook the dal with water, salt and turmeric. Give it at least 4 whistles as Chana dal takes longer to cook.
- In a deep pan heat the ghee. Add the jeera, hing, turmeric powder, bay leaf, the dry red chillies and sugar. Stir for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Lower the heat and put the grated ginger and stir for 30 seconds (don’t fry the grated ginger or it will become black).
- Add the dal with the water and get it to boil on medium heat.
- Get the dal to the desired thickness.
- Garnish with ginger strips and some hot ghee.
- It will go amazingly well with hot rice, ghee and aloo fry (aloo bhaja).
It goes amazingly with hot rice, ghee and aloo fry (aloo bhaja)