- 6 Pieces of Indian Salmon/ King Fish (Ravas/Surmai) (cut into thin slices)
- 4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 Tsp Chilli Powder (Kashmiri)
- 2 -3 Sprigs Curry Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- 5-8 Pods Garlic Paste
- 4 Onions (finely chopped)
- 3 Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- Tamarind Pulp (small lemon-sized)
- 3 Tbsp Eastern Fish Masala (this is quite close to the homemade masala)
- 1 Packet Coconut Milk (Dabur/Kara/Or if you take a powder, mix with warm water as instructed on the packet)
- 3 -4 Tbsps Coconut Oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- 2 Green Chillies (slit)
- Salt to Taste
- Coriander Leaves (for garnish)
- 2 Small Cups Water
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
- Wash the fish slices and marinate with salt and turmeric powder till we prepare the masala.
- Heat oil in a pan and add coconut oil once it’s hot. Then add finely chopped onions and fry till translucent. Later add chopped ginger-garlic paste, chillies and all the masalas. Fry for 2 minutes then add tomatoes and cook with a lid on till mushy.
- Once you see the oil releasing from the masala add little water, salt tamarind pulp and mix. Adjust the salt and spices if you feel it’s less spicy.
- Now add coconut milk and let it simmer till its semi-dry. Add coriander and let it cool down.
- Now add marinated fish into the gravy and let it cook for 10 more minutes.