- 1 Cup Basmati Rice (or any other rice will work too)
- 1/4 Large Onion
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 15-20 Spinach Leaves
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 6-7 Black Peppercorns
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1/2 Inch Cinnamon
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Pulao Masala (Or garam masala)
- Olive Oil (or any vegetable oil)
- Salt to Taste
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- Thoroughly wash the rice and soak it in water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil in a pressure cooker and add the whole spices – cumin, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves. Fry them for about a minute until fragrant.
- Slit the green chillies and add to the oil along with chopped onions.
- Sauté the onions for 3-4 mins until soft and then add the finely chopped garlic and continue sautéeing for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add pulao masala of your choice and give it one nice mix.
- Roughly chop the spinach leaves and add them next. Sauté till wilted and mixed with the masala (you can use baby spinach as well, just add a little bit more to get the spinach flavour).
- Strain the soaked rice and add it to the pressure cooker and gently toss to coat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add about 2 cups of warm water along with some salt to taste. Mix everything gently to make sure the salt has dissolved.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and cook for 2 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally and then open the pressure cooker.
- Serve hot with your choice of sides like papad, raita or mango pickle!