- 1 Bunch Spinach
- 1 Medium Size Onion (Preferably White Onions)
- 8-10 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cup Cooking Cream (Fresh or Store Bought)
- 2-3 Teaspoon Oil (Preferably Olive Oil)
- Cheese (Any Cheese of Your Choice, I Use Amul Cheese Spread Or Cubes and It Works Wonders)
- 1 Pinch Ground Pepper
- Salt (As Per Taste)
- Oregano & Chili Flakes
- Pasta (Any of Your Choice, I Used A Durum Wheat + Semolina Delmonte Penne Pasta)
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- Pre-prep (step 1,2,3,4 & 5)
- Wash and thoroughly clean the spinach and sautee/steam it with 2-3 cloves of garlic. Do not discard the stems. They are completely edible. Make a puree and keep it aside for later use.
- Fine dice the onion and roughly chop the peeled garlic cloves and keep it aside.
- Fry bacon slices in a pan and cut into bits if you like and keep aside.
- Follow the instructions on the packet to boil your pasta or in a deep pot, bring water to a boil, add 1 tablespoon salt and 3 tablespoons oil (any cooking oil will do or olive oil). Add the pasta only once the water is bubbling hot. Give it a gentle stir. Cook for 8- 11 minutes depending on your preference. (I like it al-dente so 8 minutes works for me).
- Keep 1 cup of pasta water for reducing the sauce later. Drain the water and let the pasta sit in the colander. Do not wash under running tap water.
- In a wide, slightly deep bottomed pan (so you can easily mix the cooked pasta in the same pan) heat oil (you can use the bacon oil as well for extra flavour).
- Add bay leaf, finely diced onions, roughly chopped garlic and cook until the onions are pink in colour. Do not brown the onions.
- Now add the spinach puree, salt, pepper, oregano, chilli flakes, pepper powder and mix well and bring it to a gentle simmer on a low flame (remember the spinach is already pre-cooked so we don’t need to cook it too much).
- Next add the cooking cream (I used Amul cooking cream), cheese (I used 3 tablespoon Amul cheese spread and 1 Amul cheese cube grated but go ahead and use any cheese of your choice-parmigiano, cheddar, blue cheese, pecorino, smoked gouda).
- Stir gently and bring to a simmer on a low flame. Your sauce is ready. garnish it with fresh herbs or more cheese.
- Adjust the seasoning as per your liking. Add cooked pasta and gently mix it with the sauce. You don’t want to smash or break the pasta using force.