- Makes a 6 inch Cake
- 1 Overripe/Soft Pear (medium-sized)
- 6-8 Dried Dates (deseeded and chopped)
- 1/3 Cup Powdered/Grated Jaggery (I Used 24 Mantra Brand Organic Jaggery)
- 1/4 Cup Yoghurt (or 1 Egg)
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg Powder (optional)
- 3/4 Cup Whole-Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- A pinch of salt
- Chopped Nuts/Roasted Seeds (optional)
Prep: 40 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash pear, dates and jaggery well, using a fork or fingers. A few chunks are okay.
- Then add oil and yoghurt, and combine well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spice powders into the liquid mixture.
- Add nuts or seeds if you prefer.
- Stir in gently to just combine. Do not overmix whole-wheat cakes or they will get dense.
- The batter will be thick but will bake moist due to the fruit and yoghurt. Transfer it to a greased 6-inch baking tin and level the surface.
- Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes. Check if done by poking a skewer in the centre.
- Enjoy warm (tastes even better the next day).