- For the Ground Masala
- 1 Tbsp Of Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Onion (Roughly Chopped)
- 1/2-Inch Ginger (Roughly Chopped)
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Grated Coconut
- For the Curry
- 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Medium-Sized Tomato, Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves (Add Stems If You Have)
- 1 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tbsp of Malvani Masala
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1/2 Kg of Prawns (Before Cleaning)
- 3-4 Kokum Petals
- Salt as Required
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- Marinate 1/2 kg of prawns (before cleaning) in some turmeric and keep it aside. Soak 3-4 kokum in 3-4 tbsp water for 20-30 mins.
- For the ground masala – In a tbsp. of coconut oil, add roughly diced half an onion, 1/2-inch ginger & 5-6 garlic. Sauté till onions are translucent.
- Add 1/2 cup of freshly grated coconut, and roast till the coconut turns golden brown.
- Add some water and grind the roasted masala into a fine paste.
- For the Curry – In an earthen pot, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil, add 1/2 finely chopped onions, sauté the onions till it’s translucent and then add 1 small sized chopped tomato. Sauté till it becomes mushy.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of malvani masala, 1 tsp of turmeric powder, finely chopped coriander leaves (add chopped coriander stems as well if possible, it adds a fresh flavour to the curry), sprinkle some water in masala and sauté it for a minute.
- Add ground masala sauté for a minute. Add 1 cup water, salt, prawns, 3-4 soaked kokum. Check to season.
- Simmer on low flame till prawns are cooked, (approx 7-10 mins) Or till a thin layer of oil starts forming in two of the curry. In the end, add some chopped coriander leaves and stir it.
- Enjoy with some steaming hot rice.