- For the Lentils
- 4 Cups Water
- 11/2 Cups Split Red Lentil/Masoor Dal
- For the Coconut Curry
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil/Coconut Oil
- 1 Onion (finely sliced)
- 11/2 Tbsp Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (minced)
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1.5 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar (if using regular sugar, change the quantity to 1 Tbsp)
- 2-3 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
- Soak the lentils in water for a minimum of an hour (this helps the lentils cook faster). Drain the water out and set aside.
- In a separate large cooking pot or large pan, bring water to a boil, add lentils and bring back to a boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, reduce heat to a medium-low flame and cook lentils uncovered for 5-7 minutes or until al dente but tender. Then drain and set aside.
- Subsequently, heat a separate large rimmed skillet or pan over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Now add salt, garam masala, turmeric, and chilli powder. Cook for a minute more on low heat.
- Add coconut milk and coconut sugar. Stir and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes to combine the flavours.
- Add the drained cooked lentils to the coconut sauce and stir.
- Taste at this stage and adjust salt, garam masala, chilli powder, and coconut sugar (I usually go big on flavours, so seasoning is super important).
- Turn off the heat, add lemon juice, and stir. Garnish with some fresh coconut milk and serve with steamed rice.