- Serves 4
- 8 big tomatoes (halved)
- 2 red peppers (halved)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- A big bowl of cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce OR 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 8-10 cloves of garlic
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup basil leaves (chopped)
- Fresh thyme and basil to garnish
Prep: 30 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- Pre heat your oven at 220 C
- Add the tomatoes (large one cut in half), bell peppers and the cherry tomatoes (cut into halves), garlic, olive oil and salt on a baking tray and cook at 180 C.
- Stir and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, turn halfway through. Be careful about burning your garlic, you can remove the garlic sooner so as to not burn it.
- In a large pan, add 1 tsp olive oil and the sliced onion and stir occasionally. Let them cook for about 20-30 minutes for slow flame.
- Once the tomatoes and bell peppers are roasted, peel away the charred part of the bell pepper and add all the tomatoes, pulp of the bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, garlic, caramelized onions and the chili to a blender. Add in the chili flakes and more salt if needed. Blend to a medium consistency (I prefer it chunky but you can also make it smooth).
- Once blended, transfer to a pan and add the blended mixture and the tomato sauce/ tomato purée.
- Add in the Italian seasoning, pinch of sugar and salt. Adjust seasoning as per taste.
- Add in the chopped basil leaves and simmer for 10 minutes to blend all the flavors together.
- Serve hot with your favorite pasta ( I’ve used the mung and edamame spaghetti from @pinkharvestfarms )
- Garnish with olives, fresh thyme and basil