- For Base Cake
- 2 Cups Cake Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla or Strawberry Extract
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- For Strawberry Mousse
- 8-10 Strawberries (washed and hulled)
- 14 Oz Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 Packet of Strawberry Flavoured Gelatine
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- Prepare the mousse one day before and chill in the refrigerator until the cake is ready to be frosted.
- For the strawberry mousse, prepare the gelatine as per the instructions on the pack and refrigerate till half-set. Don’t let it set completely, otherwise, it will not blend well into the mousse.
- Crush the strawberries by hand or with the back of a spoon or fork. Add condensed milk, half-set gelatine and heavy cream.
- Beat for 1-2 minutes with a hand blender and refrigerate till it sets.
- For the cake base, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and set aside. Cream together butter and sugar. Now add the eggs and beat well. Fold in the dry ingredients, milk and vanilla extract. Beat well for 3-4 minutes to form a smooth and creamy batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased cake pan. Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 28-30 minutes. After baking, remove from the oven and cool completely.
- To frost, cut the cake horizontally into two layers. Scoop a big dollop of the chilled mousse and apply on the bottom layer. Spread with a spatula into an even thick layer. Place the top layer. Frost the rest of the cake with the mousse.
- To decorate, beat chilled heavy cream with confectioners’ sugar till stiff peaks form. Fill a piping bag (fitted with a star nozzle) with the whipped cream and decorate the cake.
- Garnish with whole or sliced strawberries.