- 1 Kg Chicken Cut into Medium Pieces
- 1 Cup Coconut Scraped
- 8 Cloves of Garlic
- 6 Whole Dry Red Chillies Broken
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1 Tsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds (Khuskhus)
- 6 Cloves
- 2 Inch Stick Cinnamon
- 4 Star Anise
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Medium Onions Chopped
- 1 ½ Tbsp Tamarind Pulp
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg Grated
Prep: 30 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- The grated coconut and roast till it’s well browned. Not burnt though. And transfer into a mixer jar.
- Dry roast red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, fennel seeds, carom seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon and star anise till fragrant. Add it to the coconut in the jar.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in a deep pan and sauté onions and chopped garlic till well browned. Add this also to the mixer jar.
- Add a little water and grind to a smooth paste. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add chicken and sauté on high heat for two to three minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric and mix. Add the masala paste and stir well. Add two cups of water and stir.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add tamarind pulp and mix. Cover and cook for a further 10 min.
- Switch off the heat. Grate some nutmeg, stir. Serve hot with boiled Goan red rice.