- Serves 4
- 25 Red Chillies (cleaned & stem removed)
- 1 Cup Urad Dal
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal
- 1/2-inch Piece of Whole Asafoetida
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tsp Oil (for roasting)
- Salt as per taste
Prep: 15 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a non-stick pan and fry the asafoetida until it puffs up. Remove and set aside.
- In the pan roast the red chillies. Remove and set aside.
- Next, roast the urad dal until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Roast the chana dal until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Roast the sesame seeds until they start to splutter. Remove and set aside.
- Once all the ingredients have cooled down, put them in a mixer and churn. Add salt and powder until it is of grainy consistency. Check for salt and adjust.
- Once cooled, store in a sealed container. This stays fresh for 15-20 days.
- While serving, mix with sesame or coconut oil and serve idli or dosa.
Podi can be had on toasted bread as well. Just butter the toast generously and sprinkle a good helping of this podi and there you have it! This is how my son loves to eat it! Another variation of having this is smothering idlis with the oil-podi mix. This is a great lunch box idea and kids love it. Make it with mini idli’s or regular idli’s, they look cute and taste good as well. Mini podi idlis are great party snacks as well. Podi can be stored in a ziplock bag in the freezer for up to 6 months.