- For the Condensed Milk
- 2 Cups Milk (Amul Full Fat)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Ghee or Unsalted Butter
- For the Macaroons
- 1 Cup Coconut Flakes or Shredded Dried Coconut
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract (Sprig Gourmet)
- 1 Cup Condensed Milk
Prep: 30 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
- For making condensed milk at home (avoid this step if you’re using canned condensed milk), heat a pan on high flame and boil 2 cups of milk in it. Once the milk gets heated up, add 1 cup of sugar to this and keep stirring. Once the sugar dissolves, add a tablespoon of ghee or unsalted butter to this and keep stirring.
- After about 7 mins, add another tablespoon of ghee to this and keep stirring for another 5-7 mins. After about 15-20 mins, you’ll see that the milk has thickened and turned cream in colour. Turn off the flame and let it cool down before use. Homemade condensed milk is ready.
- To make coconut macaroons, take 1 cup of condensed milk and add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to this. Mix well. Now add the coconut flakes to this and mix well. You can buy coconut flakes online that are processed with the brown skin removed but we prefer to use dried coconut and grated them at home.
- Once it is mixed well, scoop out small balls out of this using an ice-cream scoop or a rounded ladle spoon. Do not round it well and make the edges of the balls even. We want the flakes to be a little out and uneven so that the crust gets crunchy.
- Place these small balls in a baking tray lined up with parchment paper and microwave at 180 degree Celsius for 15 mins or till the crust is slightly brown.
- Let it cool down and enjoy crunchy outside, yet soft inside Coconut Vanilla Macaroons. Every bite has the deliciousness of condensed milk and the goodness of coconut!