- 11/2 Cups Kala Chana (Washed, Soaked, Boiled & Drained)
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice (Washed and Soaked For 20 Minutes)
- 1 Large Onion (Diced Lengthwise)
- 1 Medium-Large Tomato (Diced)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste (Hand-Pounded)
- 2-3 Green Chillies (Slit Lengthwise)
- 8-10 Fresh Mint Leaves (Chopped)
- 2-3 Tbsp Fresh Coriander (Chopped)
- 2 Tbsps Oil
- 1 Tsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Jeera Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Juice Of Half A Lime
- Salt To Taste
- Whole Masalas
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2-Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Green Cardamon
- 1 Black Cardamon
- 1 Star Anise
- 3-4 Cloves
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker and add all the whole masalas and sauté well.
- Add the onion, green chillies and ginger-garlic paste and sauté until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes along with a little salt, turmeric, red chilli, coriander, cumin powders and mix well. Cook until tomatoes have cooked completely.
- Add the kala chana and garam masala powder and sauté well.
- Add the soaked basmati rice and add 4 cups of water.
- Add the chopped coriander, mint leaves and squeeze half a lime also. Adjust the salt. Cover and cook for 2 whistles and allow the pressure to come down completely before opening.
- Transfer the kale chana ka pulao into a serving plate and garnish with a fresh coriander sprig and serve hot.