- For the Apple Pie Filling
- 3 Apples
- 30g Brown Sugar
- 25g Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3/4 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- For the Crust
- 175g All Purpose Flour
- 113g Cold Salted Butter
- 3-4 Tbsp Cold Water
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- For the Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Butter
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking: 60 minutes
- Peel the apples and cut it up into small and thin slices. (Not all pieces have to be of the same size).
- Place these slices in a large bowl. Add in your sugars, cinnamon, lemon juice and stir well to ensure everything is well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and let it sit aside at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- Add the flour, sugar, and cold butter in a food processor. Blend this for a minute or two, until a crumbly mixture is formed.
- Now add 2 tbsps of cold water to the mixture and blend once again. A soft dough should be formed. (If needed add in some more water).
- Remove from the blender and place it on a floured surface. Knead it for 2-3 minutes with clean hands.
- Divide the dough into two parts and wrap each one with plastic wrap. Place them in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
- Now, take the apple mixture and using a sieve, strain mixture and pour the syrup into a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to the syrup and place the pan over medium-high heat, stirring regularly. Let it come to a simmer, and remove from the heat.
- Take out one part of the dough from the refrigerator, and place on a well-floured surface. Roll this out into a thin sheet. This will form the crust of your pie.
- Now take your pan, and with the help of a rolling pin transfer, the rolled sheet into the pan. Pat the dough down with your hand to make sure it’s placed properly, and use a fork to poke holes in the crust. Remove the excess dough from the pan.
- Next, take the second part of the dough and roll it out into a thin sheet. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into equal-sized strips.
- Add the apple mixture into the pan and pour your prepared syrup over the top.
- To make the lattice place half of your prepared strips vertically. Next, pull back each alternate strip and place another strip horizontally.
- Lastly, brush the top of your pie with some milk and sprinkle over some granulated sugar.
- Bake this off in the oven at 200C for 50-60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- Once baked, let the pie cool down for 10-15 minutes, cut it into serving-sized pieces, and enjoy!