- 6 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 Dried Chilies (Deseeded and Broken)
- 3-4 Finely Chopped Onions
- 3-4 Tbsp Garlic Finely Chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp Ginger Finely Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Celery Finely Chopped
- 1 Cup Red Chili Paste
- 1 Tbsp Red Chili Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- Salt As Per Taste
- 1 Tsp Aromat (Optional)
Prep: 20 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- Heat oil in a wok and stir in star anise and dried red chillies to infuse the oil with some of its flavours.
- Add in the chopped onions and sauté for a while. Add in the garlic and ginger and fry the aromatics.
- When the onions turn golden brown add in the celery. Cook until onions turn brown.
- Add the chilli paste and let cook until the oil separates.
- Add in the red chilli sauce, ketchup, salt, aromat and sugar and cook for a minute more or until the seasonings are thoroughly combined with the base.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.